Road construction projects that have inconvenienced commuters in every part of Metro Detroit this summer are all on schedule to meet their deadlines, despite a wetter than normal August, officials said.
Two of the Tigers' elders saved their playoff-hunting team's skin Monday night at Target Field when Torii Hunter and Miguel Cabrera hit ninth-inning homers to give the Tigers an 8-6 victory over the Twins.
A court-appointed financial expert asked to assess whether the city's restructuring plan is 'feasible' concluded Monday that it is, marking another critical turn in Detroit's effort to negotiate successfully the largest municipal bankruptcy in American history.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made a series of critical mistakes and had 'ample information' that should have allowed the agency to discover General Motors' ignition switch defect linked to at least 19 deaths and 54 crashes, a congressional report released late Monday found.
Michigan State University will be among 11 public universities across the nation that will be part of a collaborative effort to ensure that low-income and first-generation college students earn degrees, officials will announce Tuesday in Washington, D.C.
Freese said Lions coach Jim Caldwell's message to him Monday was simple: 'Keep your head up, keep going forward and keep working hard.' And when asked if he thought he still had the coaching staff's confidence, the rookie replied, 'I think so.'
- Kurt Mensching: Anibal Sanchez could be the Tigers' secret weapon -- out of the bullpen
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan athletics proposes $168 million construction project; lacrosse stadium planned
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Lions say signs pointing to CB Nevin Lawson missing rest of the season
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers reliever Kyle Ryan, 22, shakes off jitters to secure second win
- Michigan State Spartans: Michigan State receiver Tony Lippett thrives in shift to offense
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan stands behind Devin Gardner, despite fans' pleas for Shane Morris
Warren Zevon is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Randy Newman is. If you're Tom Maniaci of Birmingham, that's sort of like Alan Trammell not being in the Baseball
This wasn't a battering, not really. It was a bumbling, a bungling, a trip down misery lane. Against a tough defense, the Lions' offense made all the big mistakes in a 24-7
Brian J. O’Connor
There's a great big Internet-connected network of the future coming, America, and I am afraid.
Macomb Community College and JPMorgan Chase will announce Tuesday a program to promote economic development and job growth in Metro Detroit.
The independent compensation fund overseeing claims from General Motors ignition switch recall has approved applications for 19 deaths in its first
U.S. Rep. Kerry Bentivolio is 'seriously considering' a write-in campaign for Congress after suffering a huge double-digit loss in the GOP primary a
Denver — Authorities are increasingly concerned about a hoax in which video game players lash out at online opponents by making fake 911 calls that send
Across the board, key pieces of community law enforcement are being neglected while the Detroit Police Department reorganizes its drug unit.
The hot new restaurant of the week is the Dime Store. Serving breakfast and lunch, this hip spot recently opened in the Chrysler House, formerly
Rita Moreno played the key role of Anita, and her sizzling performance, the unwilling go-between for the doomed Maria and Tony, earned her an Oscar.
Warren Zevon is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Randy Newman is. If you're Tom Maniaci of Birmingham, that's sort of like Alan Trammell
- Torii Hunter, Miguel Cabrera homer in ninth to rescue Tigers in victory
- Alex Avila's recurring injuries giving Tigers a headache
- Lions rookie kicker Nate Freese needs to find his footing -- and fast
- Tigers reliever Kyle Ryan, 22, shakes off jitters to secure second win
- Reality saps drama out of Detroit bankruptcy
- Anibal Sanchez could be the Tigers' secret weapon -- out of the bullpen
- Michigan athletics proposes $168 million construction project; lacrosse stadium planned
- Roadwork relief defies Metro Detroit's summer rains
- Amtrak's Detroit-Chicago trip to get faster, plusher with upgrades
- Dime Store opens downtown; Beach Bar makes fall transition
- Michigan stands behind Devin Gardner, despite fans' pleas for Shane Morris
- Detroit City Council to get first look at Red Wings arena
In the Blogs
Kaitlyn Buss: Anyone in Detroit involved in the tech scene, startups, or just generally curious about the intersection of business, politics, and everyday life should attend Techonomy tomorrow. Hosted at Wayne State...
Eric Henrickson: Are you interested in making your own cosplay costume but don’t know where to begin? The American Sewing Expo, coming to Novi’s Suburban Collection Showplace Sept. 26-28, is featuring a...
Gareth Potts: It has been a few days now since my last post. I hope youâ€™ve checked out one or two of the many documentaries outlined there? The key issue, in this...
Dan Calabrese: It’s very trendy these days to paint gays and lesbians as victims when they encounter any resistance at all to being gay or lesbian. And when you add the “pregnant...
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.