Johannesburg — Nelson Mandela, who became one of the world's most beloved statesmen and a colossus of the 20th century when he emerged from 27 years in prison to negotiate an end to white minority rule in South Africa, has died. He was 95. - 5:14 PM
Cobo Center finished the 2013 fiscal year with a $287,426 profit, thanks to lower-than-expected operating expenses and increased parking revenue. The Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority, created in 2009 to operate the downtown convention center, announced the profit on Thursday. It had expected a $1.5 million loss because of low bookings and ongoing construction that limited Cobo Arena's availability.
In his long-awaited written opinion approving Detroit's bankruptcy, Judge Steven Rhodes criticized city officials for not being more forthright before the July filing and urged the parties to negotiate deals to restructure more than $18 billion in debt.
The White House and House Democrats are making a last-ditch effort to extend emergency unemployment benefits, warning that without action 4.9 million people — including 189,700 in Michigan — will lose benefits by the end of next year.
Castellanos, 21, has been the most entertaining story of player development in the Tigers system since he was drafted in 2010 as Detroit's top pick. He is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound right-handed hitter who is projected by most scouts to be a middle-of-the-order slugger on the level of Rays star and third baseman Evan Longoria.
The Red Wings will know more later today, hopefully, on the extent of forward Darren Helm's shoulder injury. Helm didn't skate Thursday, coach Mike Babcock saying Helm went for an MRI with results still unknown.
- Michigan State Spartans: Dantonio's long hours at Michigan State bring success and comfort
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Recently signed LB Julian Stanford eager to make most of chance with Lions
- Bob Wojnowski: What's next for Tigers? It should be locking up Max Scherzer
- Detroit Lions - NFL: As free agency looms, Lions backup QB Shaun Hill content to stay in the moment
- Detroit Pistons - NBA: Under Maurice Cheeks, Pistons G Rodney Stuckey seeing things positively
- High Schools: High school tip-off series pits Detroit teams against Chicago's best
A Christie’s appraisal valuing the Detroit Institute of Arts’s city-bought pieces between $452M and $866M is expected to intensify talks brokered by Judge Gerald Rosen to
The Tigers are entrenched in title contention, and that's a good thing. It's also a daunting thing. It's why they can land one of the best closers, Joe Nathan, and
With nearly 200 hp driving the front wheels, this five-door hot hatch brings performance without sacrificing room.
Wayne County commissioners on Thursday approved spending up to six months to study the viability of housing prisoners at a Mound Road facility.
Mustang enthusiasts from across the globe got their first glimpse at the sixth-generation pony car and applauded its new look and the addition of an
July 18, 1918 — Born to Hendry Mphakanyiswa, a Thembu chief, and Nosekeni Qunu in the Umtata district of the Transkei, at a time when virtually all of Africa was under European colonial rule
A Christie’s appraisal valuing the Detroit Institute of Arts’s city-bought pieces between $452M and $866M is expected to intensify talks brokered by
Michigan is getting better at competing with its contiguous neighbors in the economic-development derby.
Los Angeles — Stumped about that holiday gift for your niece or grandson?
Five cookbook suggestions from Kate Lawson on what to give the chef in the family for Christmas — 'Cook's Baking Book,' 'Moosewood Restaurant
Ford Motor Co. chief executive officer Alan Mulally will be a guest on tonight's 'The Colbert Report' on Comedy Central.
Latest Headlines Updated Dec 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm
- Ford takes the wraps off 6th-generation Mustang 5:43 pm
- Approval rating falls for Obama, rises for Snyder5:38 pm
- Mandela inspired music, movies, poems5:32 pm
- Major events in the life of Nelson Mandela5:28 pm
- U.S. approves $41.6 million for Detroit bus projects5:24 pm
- Dispute holds up vote on contract for pension fund counsel4:59 pm
- Photographer robbed twice in Detroit, criticizes police response4:36 pm
- Santa's big surprise — a health insurance e-card?4:00 pm
- Detroit broadcaster Dwayne X. Riley was Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame inductee3:55 pm
- Michigan State's Shilique Calhoun up for nation's top defensive end award3:48 pm
- Ford CEO Mulally to appear on 'Colbert Report'3:35 pm
- Preliminary exams for suspects in death of EMU student postponed3:20 pm
- Tigers' Nick Castellanos relishing return to third base
- GM to unveil the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 in Detroit
- Ford takes the wraps off 6th-generation Mustang
- Paul unveils plan for Detroit 'economic freedom zone'
- In written ruling, Detroit bankruptcy judge urges creditors to negotiate
- 2015 Mustang: A makeover with muscle
- White House: 189,700 in Michigan will lose unemployment benefits without extension
- Dantonio's long hours at Michigan State bring success and comfort
- What's next for Tigers? It should be locking up Max Scherzer
- Ford to reveal next-generation Mustang on Dec. 5
- Darren Helm's ailing shoulder adds to Wings' injury woes
- Tigers' Miguel Cabrera moving to first; Joaquin Benoit not expected back
In the Blogs
Charles Owens Back in July I wrote a column about three important court cases dealing with the issue of private property rights and the actions of government that threatened those rights. Just...
Brandy Baker Smokestacks atÂ the historic Ford Rouge Complex in Dearborn, Michigan are silhouetted by the setting sun earlier this week.
Jeff Hadden Judge Steven Rhodes’ ruling that Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy and cuts in city employees’ pensions could be part of any financial restructuring plan has sent shock waves through...
Chat with Detroit's police chief
Detroit Police Chief James Craig will take your questions and comments at 1:30 p.m. Friday in our online chat moderated by Detroit crime beat reporter George Hunter.
Download Kate Lawson's recipe book
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.